Wednesday, October 16, 2013

5:26

Dream, October 16, 2013.

My best friend comes to visit me for my birthday and the entire ground is covered in snow (I was born in June). She pulls 60.00 out of her coat pocket and hands it to me -- I am reluctant to take it, but she pushes the money into my palm and closes my fingers. We drive to a nearby town for dinner and I can only see the world through the windshield, the car lights focused to the middle of the road; we are swerving through the yellow lines and the tree branches pushing into my vision are covered in ice. 

At dinner we are playing a game with arrows drawn on paper, although I cannot remember what it was because I was already drunk in my mind from the bottles of wine, blackberry and honey and something pink pouring down my friend's throat, visible through her skin. 

The bill comes to 60.00.

She drives me to my parent's home and I walk past my mother sleeping on the couch. I go to the computer and play a song on repeat, although I have never heard it before; I play it so loudly that the speakers crack and I dance until my bare feet hurt from the hardwood floors. I realize it is 10:40 in the morning and I have not slept. I look at the pines through the kitchen window and watch the snow fall; I panic because I can barely remember the night before, but I calm myself saying that it what happens when you keep pouring glasses of wine.

I go into a bedroom and start dancing to the song again. I only stop when my sister walks through the door because I am embarrassed to have her hear the music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment